– KATANA Open Call 2 Guide for Applicants
– KATANA Open Call 2 Consortium Declaration
KATANA Guide for Applicants
Q: How can I benefit from teambuilding?
A: Participants may benefit from teambuilding process in multiple ways.
- Exchange of knowhow
- New impulses for product and service development
- Recruiting of capabilities that the existing team lacks (e.g. developers)
- Teaming up with usual/potential target groups in order to get insights on customer needs (e.g. developers with farmers)
BYOB – Bring your own buddies
On top of that, it is possible to bring already established partners to KATANA as only 1 team member needs to be a KATANA beneficiary
Q1: What if I have a product or service idea that does not seem to fit for a crowdfunding process?
A: Launching a reward crowdfunding campaign is not that simple – which is why beneficiaries will be prepared thoroughly for the campaigns by KATANA partners and dedicated experts. Main workshops at the KATANA Bootcamp will focus on:
- How to set the right incentives for a specific product or service (possible incentives might include pens, T-Shirts, discounts, licences, company visits, etc.)
- How to address potential donors
- How to tailor communication efforts to potential donors needs
- How to design an attractive campaign in the three focus fields of KATANA
Q2: How shall I attract potential donors to the crowdfunding platform?
A: The whole KATANA consortium will support the teams in the communication of the crowdfunding platforms, e.g. in the social media or via events. Also, it is important to know that:
- Specific promotion techniques will be taught at the Bootcamp (see above)
- Beneficiaries will prepare their campaigns in close cooperation with KATANA partners
- No maximum for funds will be set
- A minimum of funds can be set by beneficiaries
- The best teams will be selected always in relation to their direct competitors from the same KATANA focus field i.e. PA Services, Mobile Services, Functional Foods
- There will be no threshold meaning that even a team that received the amount of 15€ can be awarded if this amount is the highest in the group.
Q3: What if the Consortium is in TOP 10 but hasn’t gathered not enough money in order to develop the product/service?
A: A crowdfunding campaign will be considered successful and retain its status of TOP 10 winners of the Open Call 2 (if applicable) only if the consortium delivers the promised perks. On the contrary, any consortium that doesn’t distribute the perks and returns collected funds, will be excluded from the winners list and will not have the right to access additional KATANA funds – 100.000 EUR and 2nd Stage supporting services. In consequence, KATANA consortium will invite the next consortium from the rank list.
IPR and Publication of ideas
Q: Do I have to share my ideas and make them public?
A: Participants are not requested nor expected to disclose their ideas in the pitch videos. However:
- It is normal that any start-up, entrepreneur or company needs to disclose their ideas or plans as soon as they request funding. This goes also for the Matchmaking events.
- In the project teams that are formed during the Matchmaking process, will be free to set up internal contracts regarding IPR
- Here, KATANA team can support
Existing products and services
Q: What about my already existing products and services?
A: KATANA allows already established companies and start-ups to develop new products and services, but also to:
- Refine already existing products
- Develop the existing product portfolio further
- Develop new distribution channels for products – e.g. by the development of an online shop
- Adjust products for other markets and/or target groups